Nanotechnology for Radiation Oncology
Northeastern University – Dana Farber Cancer Institute Collaboration – Brigham and Women’s Hospital Collaboration
Leaders: Srinivas Sridhar and Mike Makrigiorgos
Launched in 2008, the NanoRadOnc Collaboration seeks to develop Nanotechnologies for Radiation Oncology. Current research projects include:
- Biological In Situ Image Guided Radiation Therapy (BIS-IGRT)
- Gold nanoparticles as Radiation Therapy Enhancers
- PARP inhibitors for Chemo-Radiation Therapy
- Radiogenomics and Genomic Instability
The Collaboration accomplishments include :
- Several journal articles published and conference presentations were made
- Grants totaling more than $2M have been funded
- Several students and scientists have been trained and junior faculty have received support.
NanoRadOnc Team Members
|Northeastern University||Dana Farber Cancer Institute/ Brigham Womens Hospital|
|Srinivas Sridhar, PhD||Mike Makrigiorgos, PhD|
|Rajiv Kumar, PhD||Robert Cormack, PhD|
|Shifalika Tangutoori, PhD.||Ross Berbeco, PhD|
|Anne van de Ven, PhD.||Anthony D’Amico, MD. PhD|
|Paul Nguyen, MD. PhD|
|Houari Korideck, PhD|
|Wilfred Ngwa, PhD|
|Alec Kimmelman, MD.PhD|
|Nanocoated Brachytherapy Spacers for Biological In Situ Image Guided Radiation Therapy||Sridhar, Cormack||DOD Prostate Cancer Research Program|
|Joint Indo-US Center on Nanomedicines for Head and Neck Cancer||Sridhar||Indo-US Science and Techology Forum|
|Multi-Model Imaging Nanoplatforms for Image-Guided Therapies||Sridhar||CIMIT/DOD|
|Concept Award: Brachytherapy application with in situ dose-painting administered via gold-nanoparticle eluters||Ngwa||DOD PCRP|
|Nanoplatforms for Localized Chemo Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer||Cormack||Mazzone Foundation|
|Enhancing Tumor Vascular Damage with Gold Nanoparticles Aided Radiation Therapy||Berbeco||NIH|
|In vivo fluorescence imaging of gold nanoparticles for radiotherapy applications||Berbeco||JCRT|
|K01 award Brachytherapy in situ dose-painting administered via gold-nanoparticle eluters||Ngwa||NIH K01|
Several additional proposals to NIH and DoD are pending or under preparation.
- In Vitro Dose Enhancement from Gold Nanoparticles under Different Clinical MV Photon Beam Configurations. R Berbeco, H Korideck, W Ngwa, R Kumar, J Patel, S Sridhar, S Johnson, B Price, A Kimmelman, M Makrigiorgos. Medical Physics, 2012, 39(6), 3900-3901.
- In Vitro Dose Enhancement From Gold Nanoparticles During Low-dose-rate Gamma Irradiation With I-125 Brachytherapy Seeds. W Ngwa, H Korideck, A Kimmelman, AI Kassis, R Kumar, S Sridhar, M Makrigiorgos, RA Cormack. International Journal of Radiation Oncology* Biology* Physics, 2012, 84(3), S134.
- Third Generation Gold Nanoplatform Optimized for Radiation Therapy. R. Kumar, H. Korideck, W. Ngwa, R.I. Berbeco, G.M. Makrigiorgos, S. Sridhar. Accepted in Translational Cancer Research. July 2013.
- In vitro radiosensitization by gold nanoparticles during continuous low dose rate gamma irradiation with I-125 brachytherapy seeds Wilfred Ngwa, Houari Korideck, A I Kassis, R Kumar, S Sridhar, G M Makrigiorgos,, R A Cormack., Nanomedicine-Nanotechnology Biology And Medicine Volume: 9 Issue: 1 Pages: 25-27 DOI: 10.1016/j.nano.2012.09.001 Published: JAN 2013
- DNA Damage Enhancement from Gold Nanoparticles for Clinical MV Photon Beams. Berbeco, Ross I., Houari Korideck, Wilfred Ngwa, Rajiv Kumar, Janki Patel, Srinivas Sridhar, Sarah Johnson, Brendan D. Price, Alec Kimmelman, and G. Mike Makrigiorgos. Radiation research 178, no. 6 (2012): 604-608.
- Facile Synthesis of PEGylated PLGA Nanoparticles Encapsulating Doxorubicin and its In Vitro Evaluation as Potent Drug Delivery Vehicle Rajiv Kumar, Apurva Kulkarni, Jude Nabulsi, Dattatri K Nagesha, Robert Cormack, Mike G Makrigiorgos, and Srinivas Sridhar, Drug Delivery and Translational Research, Volume 3, Issue 4, pp 299-308 (2013)
- Optimal drug release schedule for in-situ radiosensitization of image guided permanent prostate implants, Robert A. Cormack, Paul Nguyen, Anthony V. D’Amico, Srinivas Sridhar, Mike Makrigiorgos, Proc. SPIE, V.7964, P.79640A (2011)
- Nanotechnology for Radiation Oncology, Srinivas Sridhar, R. Berbeco, R.A. Cormack and G.M. Makrigiorgos, ‘CRC Handbook for Clinical nanomedicine’, Raj Bawa, Gerald F. Audette and Israel Rubinstein (Editors): Handbook of Clinical Nanomedicine – From Bench to Bedside, Pan Stanford Series in Nanomedicine (Raj Bawa, Series Editor), Volume 1, Pan Stanford Publishing, Singapore, 2013)
- Radiosensitizer-eluting nanocoatings on gold fiducials for biological in-situ image-guided radio therapy (BIS-IGRT), Nagesha D.K., Tada D.B., Stambaugh C.K., Gultepe E., Jost E., Levy C.O., Cormack R., Makrigiorgos G.M. and Sridhar S., Physics in Medicine and Biology, V.55(20), P.6039-52 (2010)
- Chitosan film containing PLGA nanoparticles: a localized dual- drug release platform, Dayane Tada, Surinder Singh, Dattatri Nagesha, Evan Jost, Craig Levy, Evin Gultepe, Robert Cormack, G. Mike Makrigiorgos, Srinivas Sridhar,, Pharmaceutical Research, V.27(8), P.1738 (2010)
- Biological In Situ Dose-painting for Image-guided Radiation Therapy using Drug-loaded Implantable Devices, M. Makrigiorgos, S. Sridhar, W. Suh, A. D’Amico, R. Cormack, International Journal of Radiation Oncology * Biology * Physics , V.76, P.615-623 (2010)
- A novel nano-formulation for systemic administration of PARPi-Olaparib (NANO-OLAPARIB) for radiosensitization, chemo-sensitization and combinatorial therapy in prostate cancer, Shifalika Tangutoori, Houari Korideck, Mike Makrigiorgos, Robert Cormack3, Srinivas Sridhar, AACR Molecular Targets and Cancer Terapeutics, Boston, October 2013.
- R Kumar, J Belz, S Markovic, T Jadhav, P Nguyen, M Niedre, A DAmico, M Makrigiorgos, R Cormack, S Sridhar. Sustained release of drug eluting nanoparticles from implantable devices for loco-regional chemoradiation therapy. Proceedings: AACR 104th Annual Meeting 2013, 6-12 April 2013, Washington DC. Abstract 1594.
- Rajiv Kumar; Tej Jhadav; Houari Korideck; Wilfred F. Ngwa; Ross I. Berbeco; Robert Cormack; G. Mike Makrigiorgos; Srinivas Sridhar. Engineering 4th Generation Nanoparticles for Localized Radiosensitization in Cancer Radiation Therapy. NCI Alliance for Nanotechnology in Cancer, Annual Private Investigators’ Meeting Sept 17-19, 2013.
- Rajiv Kumar, Jodi E. Belz, Stacey Markovic, Houari Korideck, Wilfred F. Ngwa, Mark Niedre, Ross I. Berbeco, Robert Cormack, Mike G. Makrigiorgos, Srinivas Sridhar. Localized tumor delivery of radiosensitizers and chemotherapeutics using ‘INCeRT’ implants. AACR Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics, Boston, October 2013.
- R Kumar, A Kulkarni, D Nagesha, R Cormack, M Makrigiorgos, S Sridhar. Nanocoated brachytherapy spacers eluting radiosensitizers for biological in situ image-guided radiation therapy of prostate cancer. Cancer Research June 4, 2012, 72(8), Suppl 1, 1473; doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2012-1473; Proceedings: AACR 103rd Annual Meeting 2012, Mar 31-Apr 4, 2012; Chicago, IL Abstract 1473.
- R Kumar, J Patel, H Korideck, RI. Berbeco, MG. Makrigiorgos, S Sridhar Comprehensive evaluation of PEGylated gold nanorods for two photon photoluminescence image guided radiation therapy enhancement. Cancer Research: April 15, 2012; 72 (8), Suppl 1, 1472; doi: 10.1158/1538-7445.AM2012-1472; Proceedings: AACR 103rd Annual Meeting 2012, Mar 31-Apr 4, 2012; Chicago, IL Abstract 1472.
- R Kumar, S Markovic, T Jadhav, M Niedre, P Nguyen, A D’Amico, M Makrigiorgos, S Sridhar, R Cormack. Quantitative Imaging to Establish Distribution Parameters of Timed Release of Drug Eluting Nanoparticles from Implantable Devices for Image Guided Chemobrachytherapy. 5th Image Guided Therapy Workshop, September 2012, Boston MA.
- R Kumar, H Korideck, W Ngwa, RI Berbeco, M Makrigiorgos, S Sridhar. Ultrasmall Fluorescent Gold Nanoparticles for Optical Imaging and Radiation Therapy in Prostate Cancer. MRS Fall Meeting & Exhibit November 26 – December 30, 2012, Boston, MA.
- R Kumar, J Nabulsi, T Jhadav, DK Nagesha, R Cormack, M Makrigiorgos, S Sridhar. Implantable Nanoparticles Doped Brachytherapy Spacers for Synergistic Combinatorial Chemo-radiation Therapy in Prostate Cancer. MRS Fall Meeting & Exhibit November 26 – December 30, 2012, Boston, MA.
- DK Nagesha, R Kumar, M Jillella, C Gharagouzloo, S Sridhar Size-dependent Magnetic Nanoparticles for Triggered Hyperthermic Chemotherapy. MRS Fall Meeting & Exhibit November 26 – December 30, 2012, Boston, MA.
- R. Kumar, A. Kulkarni, D. Nagesha, M. Makrigiorgos, R. Cormack, S. Sridhar. Smart fiducials with radio-sensitizer eluting nanoporous coatings for IGRT, Nanotech Conference and Expo 2011, June 2011, Boston, MA USA
- S Sridhar, D Nagesha, D Tada, R Kumar, GM Makrigiorgos, R Cormack. Radio-sensitizer eluting nanoporous coatings on fiducials markers: Biological in-situ dose-painting for IGRT. Cancer Research July 12, 2011 71:2674; doi:10.1158/1538-7445.AM2011-2674; Proceedings: AACR 102nd Annual Meeting 2011, Apr 2-6; Orlando, Florida. Abstract 2674.
- DK Nagesha, R Kumar, C Stambaugh, D Tada, R Cormack, M Makrigiorgos and S Sridhar. Radiosensitizer-eluting Nanocoatings on Gold Fiducials for Biological In-situ Image Guided Radio Therapy (BIS-IGRT). MRS Fall Meeting & Exhibit November 29 – December 3, 2010, Boston, MA.